There are several deep swimming holes along the Salmon Creek in the Willamette National Forest near Oakridge, 40 miles east of Eugene. Astonishingly beautiful deep pools with the crystal-clear blue-green waters above Salmon Creek Falls (official name is Salmon Falls) are good for swimming and cliff jumping. The broad moderately high volume fall is about 8 feet in height. The water is rough below the falls and swimming here is not considered to be safe.
The bank above the falls is composed of formation rocks, and below the falls consists of large pebbles and small boulders.
Popular among travelers and local residents, Salmon Creek Falls Campground and Day Use Site are located nearby. The Salmon Creek Area provides an excellent opportunity for hiking. A totally 12-mile-long trail with easy and moderate sections designated for hikers with any experience.
Cautions: Cliff jumping and slippery rocks are associated with risks, please use caution and make safe decisions.
Access allowed: April - September
Hiking distance: Short
Day-use fees: Yes
Dogs: Must be on a leash
Accommodations: 15 single campsites
Location: USDA, Salmon Creek Falls Campground
GPS coordinates: 43.76228, -122.3737
Elevation: 1440 ft (207 m)
Salmon Creek Falls are located:
- 4.7 miles east of Oakridge
- 48 miles southeast of Eugene
- 100 miles southwest of Bend
- 109 miles southeast of Salem.
Website: USDA Forest Service
Body of water: River, falls
Water quality: Clear and transparent
Current: Light to moderate
Beach: River rocks and rock formation
Water T° (summer): Cool
Hand pump water
Driving Directions to Salmon Creek Falls
- From I-5, take exit 188 in Eugene to Highway 58 East
- Drive on Highway 58 southeast for about 35 miles to Crestview Street (traffic signal) in Oakridge
- Turn left onto Crestview Street and drive to East 1st Street 0.2 miles
- Turn right onto East 1st Street (City Center) that becomes Salmon Creek Road, continue 4.8 miles to Salmon Creek Falls Campground on the right
- The day-use area is located inside the campground.
- 8:24 PM PDT on March 23, 2018
- 5:00 AM PDT on March 24, 2018
High 40° / Low 27°
Chance of Rain
High 45° / Low 26°
Chance of Rain
High 47° / Low 30°
High 49° / Low 32°
High 52° / Low 38°