Enjoy the beauty of the lucid green waters of the Molalla River. Located in the Molalla Recreation Area, 3.5 miles south of Glen Avon Bridge, Three Bears Recreation Site was open in 2013 by the BLM.
A cobble beach and river with relatively warm water on hot summer days are easily accessible from the parking lot. The water is deeper in a big pool near a rock wall that lines the opposite bank. The site has campsites with fire rings, barbecue grill, and picnic tables.
The Three Bears area provides an excellent opportunity for picnicking, camping, swimming, and hiking. Designated for mountain bikers, equestrians, and hikers, a 25-mile-long loop trail is nearby.
You can find a few excellent swimming holes along the Molalla River.
There are other excellent swimming spots along the Molalla River:
Access allowed (2017): May 15 - September 15
Campground is open for weekend use only, Friday 12 pm through Monday 11 am
Hiking distance: Short
Day-use fees (2017): Free
Dogs: Must be on a leash
Accommodations: 6 single campsites and 3 group sites
Location: BLM, Molalla Recreation Site
GPS coordinates: 45.0426, -122.489
Elevation: 680 ft (207 m)
Three Bears Area is located:
- 11 miles southeast of Molalla
- 38 miles east of Salem
- 46 miles southeast of Portland
- 107 miles northeast of Eugene
Body of water: River
Water quality: Transparent
Beach: River rocks
Water T° (summer): Cool to warm
Directions to Three Bears Recreation Site
- From I-5, take Exit 271 for Highway 214
- Turn right onto Highway 214 toward Woodburn
- Continue along Highway 211 and then E Main Street in Molalla to Mathias Road
- Turn right onto Mathias Road and follow to S Feyrer Park Road
- Turn left onto S Feyrer Park Road and continue to S Dickey Prairie Road
- Turn right and drive to Glen Avon Bridge
- Cross the bridge and continue for about 3 miles to the destination on the left.
Overcast with rain showers at times. High 63F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
High 63° / Low 57°
Periods of rain. High 59F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall around a half an inch.
High 59° / Low 47°
Rain showers early with some sunshine later in the day. High around 55F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
High 55° / Low 43°
Rain likely. High 54F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.
High 54° / Low 46°
Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours will give way to cloudy skies and rain in the afternoon. High 54F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
High 54° / Low 42°