For all the nature lovers looking for the perfect summer day out, the search ends at Sharps Creek. Nestled in the Cascade Mountains, Sharps Creek recreational area consists of a small camping ground located amidst an evergreen forest offering plenty of opportunities for hiking, viewing wildlife, picnicking, camping, and even recreational gold panning. The 16-mile paved Row River Trail provides hikers, equestrians, and bicyclists a variety of opportunities to enjoy the scenic beauty of this place.
If none of this appeals to you, and all you wish to do is to beat the summer heat with some aquatic fun, then Sharps Creek also offers ample opportunities for swimming and fishing (trout should be released). For those wanting to experience windsurfing or to simply relax and enjoy some boating, the Dorena Lake is also nearby.
Sharps Creek offers nice swimming in a beautiful pristine hole formed in bedrock by the river's flow. The hole is surrounded by cliffs and formation rocks.
Cautions: Cliff jumping and slippery rocks are associated with risks, please use caution and make safe decisions.
Access allowed: May 26 - September 12 from dawn until dusk
Walking distance: Short
Day-use fees: None
Dogs: Must be on a leash
Usage: Moderate to heavy
Accommodations: Family Campground
Location: Eugene District, BLM
GPS coordinates: 43.66789, -122.8113
Elevation: 1,200 ft (366 m)
Sharps Creek is located:
- 18 miles southeast of Cottage Grove
- 40 miles southeast of Eugene
- 60 miles northeast of Roseburg
- 101 miles southeast of Salem
Body of water: River
Water quality: Transparent
Beach: Bedrock and gravel
Water T° (summer): Cool
Panning for gold
Directions to Sharps Creek
- Follow from Eugene southbound I-5
- Take exit 174 for Cottage Grove and Dorena Lake
- Turn left from exit ramp and follow Row River Road for about 4 miles
- Continue onto Shoreview Drive/Government Road for 6.6 miles until it merges onto Row River Road
- Continue 4.3 miles to Sharps Creek Road.
- Turn right and continue for 2.9 miles
- The campground will be on your right and the day use area on your left.