Known for its own geyser, historic Hunters Hot Springs is located near the small town of Lakeview in Southeastern Oregon.
Trappers from the Hudson Bay Company discovered the hot springs and described it in their journal in 1832. The trappers noted that the water of the springs was unusually hot, between 185 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit. However, this place received more attention when a land developer Harry Hunter visited the site in 1919 and realized a great potential for its commercial development. He purchased the land with hot springs in 1923 to build a health resort.
The development started just after the purchase. During the construction, Hunter recognized that the hot springs' flow was not large enough for his purposes. He drilled three more wells and one of them, finally, became the popular touristic attraction "Old Perpetual Geyser".
Hunters Hot Springs, also, is known as Geyser Hot Springs because of a man-made Old Perpetual that became the star of the hot springs show.
Typically, the geyser is shooting a column of hot water as high as 50 to 60 feet every 90 seconds. During the dry seasons and droughts, eruptions become less frequent or completely cease.
The resort was open in 1925. Later, a medical clinic, restaurant, and second building were built. New ownership brought new renovation. A cocktail lounge, motel, racquetball court, and later a swimming-size pool were added.
Today, Hunter Hot Spring is a motel, RV park, and campground. All overnight guests have access to the pool.
The open-air pool is surrounded by the building from the three sides and wall, giving visitors some privacy, protection from cold winds and allowing to observe the breathtaking sky while enjoying the benefits of the mineral-rich water.
Hunters Hot Springs | General Description
Managed: Private Property
Development: Resort, swimming-size pool
Accommodations: Rooms, RV park, campground
Distance from the parking: Short
Road access: Any vehicle
Day-use fees: For resort guests only
Elevation: 4,802 ft (1,463 m)
Hunters Hot Springs is located:
- 2.7 miles north of Lakeview
- 249 miles southeast of Eugene
- 310 miles southeast of Salem.