• McCredie Hot Springs emerge on both sides of the river
• The area boasts a captivating and often dark historical background
McCredie Hot Springs is well-known and loved for easy access and a short distance from Eugene, just about one hour via Oregon Route 58. These natural hot springs give you the opportunity to interact with nature while enjoying hot dips into mineral-rich water.
The hot springs consist of a series of thermal springs bubbling up on the north and south banks of the Salt Creek.
The northern side of McCredie Hot Springs is located just a few dozen yards from the large parking area. There is a concrete cap block with scalding water up to 160°F flowing out into volunteer-built pools. The shallow pools are built from the rocks and mud that can be washed away by the high water in spring. Next season volunteers will built new pools.
Though the temperature of channeled water is gradually decreasing, you should be careful entering into pools. Have a bucket to add cold river water if needed.
The southern side of McCredie Hot Springs is located on the other side of the creek. Do not try to cross the creek during high water and spring runoff! The driving directions to this spot are provided below.
The south bank of the creek is more secluded. The water at a temperature of 125°F emerges from a base of the concrete-rock wall, remains of the hot springs resort. There are a few pools with more comfortable temperatures between 100°F and 105°F. The biggest pool is about thirty feet across and two feet deep, while the smallest is just about three feet across. The bottom of these pools is mainly composed of organic materials and dirt. Use caution, there might be some rocks and glass.
The best seasons to visit the hot springs are springs, summers, and falls.
McCredie Hot Springs: Brief History
A trapper Frank Warner discovered this spectacular site in 1878. He lived on this piece of the land until the Forest Service asked him to move out.
In 1911, John Hardin had filed a mineral claim and been granted it.
McCredie Hot Springs got its name in 1916 from the third owner of the hot springs - Walter "Judge" McCredie. He was a baseball player from Portland who took over a lease from John Hardin. In 1914, Walter McCredie built a two-story resort hotel.
The McCredie Resort became extremely popular when the Southern Pacific Railway was built in 1923. However, by the end of the 1940s, the resort became disreputable because a new owner used the resort as a bordello.
In 1958 the hotel burned to the ground, and in 1964 a flood washed out the bridge and swimming pool.
McCredie Hot Springs: Camping, Lodging & Vacation Rentals
The 24-site Blue Pool Campground, located 0.5 miles west along Salt Creek, is nonelectric for tents only seasonal campground. There are picnic tables, toilets, and drinking water. Reserve your space through recreation.gov.
Accommodations is available 10 miles west in Oakridge or 50 miles east in Eugene.
McCredie Hot Springs | Facts
Open: Year-round from sunrise to sunset
Managed by: US Forest Service
Amenities: Vault toilet and picnic tables on the parking at the north side of the river
Distance from parking: North side: 0.1 miles; south side: 0.3 miles
Road Access: Any vehicle
Day-use fees: Yes or Interagency Senior/Access/Military Pass
Elevation: 2,064 ft (629 m)
McCredie Hot Springs is located:
- 10.3 miles east of Oakridge
- 53 miles east of Eugene
- 87 miles west of Bend
- 114 miles southeast of Salem.
Directions to McCredie Hot Springs
North side of McCredie Hot Springs
- Take exit 188 in Eugene for Highway OR 158 East
- Follow 46 miles southeast on Highway OR 58 to the north side of McCredie Hot Springs on the right (between milepost 45 and 46).
South side of McCredie Hot Springs
- Drive 0.5 miles southeast to Shady Gap Road
- Turn right onto Shady Gap Road and cross the bridge
- Turn right onto NF-5875 and park your car near a trailhead on the right.
The pools are located roughly 0.3 miles or 10 minutes away from the trailhead. The trail runs downstream along the Salt Creek.