One of the six covered bridges on Covered Bridge Tour Route, Hoffman Covered Bridge was built in 1936 by Lee Hoffman and named in honor of its builder. Built with only hand tools, the 90 feet bridge is accentuated by two Gothic-style windows on each side, an exposed roof trusses design, and a trapezoidal shaped portal.
It crosses Crabtree Creek while serving the traffic on Hungry Hill Drive. Crabtree Creek originates in the western foothills of the Cascades near Crabtree Mountain and heads west to the South Santiam River.
The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
Another covered bridge spanning Crabtree Creek, Larwood Covered Bridge is located 9 miles east.
Crabtree Creek just below the Hoffman Covered Bridge is an excellent swimming spot for those who enjoy water activities. During the summer months, the water is slow and warm. You will find a path down to a sandy beach at the southwest edge of the bridge. The creek at the beach and under the bridge is deep enough for swimming. The bottom of the creek is mostly sandy.
The creek is closed to salmon and steelhead fishing but open to trout angling from the end of May through the end of October, catch-and-release only.
Bass, crappie, bluegill, and yellow perch fishing is open during trout season. No catch limit.
Hoffman Covered Bridge | General Description
Architectural Bridge Design: Howe truss
Bridge access: Pedestrian and vehicle
Stream: Crabtree Creek
Bridge Length: 90 ft (27 m)
Managed: Linn County
Location: Near Scio, Willamette Valley
Activities: Fishing and swimming
Distance from the parking: Short
Road access: Any passenger vehicle
Day-use fees: None
Popularity: Low to moderate
Elevation: 310 ft (94 m)
Hoffman Bridge is located:
- 13 miles east of Albany
- 30 miles southeast of Salem
- 52 miles northeast of Eugene
- 77 miles northeast of Portland.
- Take exit 233 in Albany toward Sweet Home and go 5.5 miles east on Highway 20 to Highway 226
- Turn left onto Highway 226 and follow east 2.5 miles to Cold Springs Road
- Turn left onto Cold Springs Road and drive 0.3 miles to Crabtree Drive
- Turn right onto Crabtree Drive and then onto Hungry Hill Drive on the left
- Continue on Hungry Hill Drive for 1.6 miles to the bridge.