The popular day-use facility, the Smith Homestead and Jones Creek Day-Use areas are located in the Tillamook State Forest on the bank of the Wilson River. 364,000 acres of the Tillamook State Forest is a unique Coast Range old-growth forest, where you can enjoy bright colors of pristine nature, cool streams rippling over river rocks through basalt canyons toward to the Pacific Ocean.
The Smith Homestead and Jones Creek Day-Use areas offer hiking trails, picnic sites, fishing, swimming in the crystal clear pristine water, and beautiful dramatic scenery.
Access allowed: All year-round from dawn until dusk
Walking distance: Short
Day-use fees: None
Dogs: Must be on a leash
Accommodations: Jones Creek Campground
Location: Tillamook State Forest
GPS coordinates: 45.5877, -123.555
Elevation: 400 ft (122 m)
Wilson River at the Smith Homestead Day-Use Area is located:
- 0.5 miles of Tillamook Forest Center
- 22.3 miles northeast of Tillamook
- 51 miles west of Portland
Address: Wilson River Highway Forest State Park, Tillamook, OR
Body of water: River
Water quality: Excellent, transparent
Current: Light to moderate
Beach: River rocks, rock formations, bedrock bottom
Water T° (summer): Cool to warm
Directions to Smith Homestead
- From Tillamook, travel on Highway OR-6 Northeast for 22.3 miles to milepost 20 and park at the Smith Homestead Day-Use Area.
- From Portland, drive on US 26 West of Highway OR 6, slight left onto OR-6 towards Banks or Tillamook, continue onto OR-6 for 28.9 miles to the destination.