Yellowbottom Recreation Site is one of the best summer destinations among other excellent swimming holes of the Quartzville Creek Wild and Scenic River. The site attracts visitors with its beautiful scenery, trees growing tall along the banks, and the river that features yellow-golden bottom.
The Yellowbottom and Quartzville Creek are known from 1863 for the quartz rock formations that may have hold gold deposits. Free recreational gold panning and rock hounding are still allowed at a portion of the Quartzville Creek area managed by BLM but prohibited in the Yellowbottom swimming area.
Named after the Yellowbottom Creek, Yellowbottom Recreation Site now offers comfortable swimming in a big natural pool and rock jumping. This beautiful spot is friendly for families with kids. Pets are welcome as well.
The swimming area features a large pool of clear emerald waters with shallow and deep spots. Yellow rocks on the bottom look like hidden gold. The beach is composed of sand and gravel. A huge rock on the left of the beach is used for climbing and jumping. Because this site is located on a higher elevation, the water here is colder than in other spots along Quartzville Creek.
Cautions: Cliff jumping and slippery rocks are associated with risks, please use caution and make safe decisions.
Yellowbottom Campground is the only developed camp within the Quartzville Creek corridor. Conveniently located near the beach and day-use site, just across the road, the 13-acre campground offers 22 first come - first served tent sites.
The 1-mile Rhododendron trail offers a moderate hike around the north side of the campground.
* Trail Park Pass is required for this trail.
Yellowbottom | General Description
Open: Memorial Day weekend - Labor Day weekend
Managed by: BLM
Location: Yellowbottom Recreation Site
Services: Vault toilets, garbage service, picnic sites, hand pump drinking water
Activities: Swimming, rock jumping, rope swinging, camping, hiking, fishing
Distance from the parking: Short
Road access: Any passenger vehicle
Day-use fees: None
Popularity: Moderate to high
Restrictions: Recreational mining is not allowed; no glass or BBQ on the beach
Accommodations: Yellowbottom Campground - 22 tent sites
Elevation: 1,410 ft (430 m)
Yellowbottom Recreation Site is located:
- 30 miles northeast of Sweet Home
- 74 miles northeast of Eugene
- 81 miles southeast of Salem
- 86 miles northwest of Bend
- 128 miles southeast of Portland.
- From I-5, take exit 228 for OR-34 East toward Lebanon
- Turn left onto OR-34 East and follow 5.4 miles to Airport Drive
- Merge onto Denny School Road on the right and continue onto Airport Drive for 2.2 miles to US-20
- Turn right onto US-20 East/Main Street and drive for about 19 miles to Quartzville Road
- Turn left onto Quartzville Road and follow 24 miles to the destination on the right.