One of the best summer destination among other excellent swimming holes along the Quartzville Creek Wild and Scenic River, the Yellowbottom Recreation Site offers comfortable swimming in a big natural pool and rock jumping in the beautiful scenery of the river with the river that features yellow-golden bottom and trees growing tall along the banks.
The Yellowbottom and Quartzville Creek are known from 1863 for the quartz rock formations that may have hold gold deposits. Free recreational gold panning and rock hounding are still allowed at a portion of the Quartzville Creek area managed by BLM but prohibited in the Yellowbottom swimming area.
Named after the Yellowbottom Creek, Yellowbottom Recreation Site now offers a swimmer's paradise facilitated by a designated campground and picnic sites. This beautiful spot is friendly for families with kids. Pets are welcome as well.
The swimming area features a large pool of clear emerald waters with shallow and deep spots. Yellow rocks on the bottom look like hidden gold. The beach is composed of sand and gravel. A huge rock on the left of the beach is used for climbing and jumping. Because this spot located on the higher elevation, the water here is colder then in another spots along the Quartzville Creek.
Cautions: Cliff jumping and slippery rocks are associated with risks, please use caution and make safe decisions.
Yellowbottom Campground is only developed campground withing the Quartzville Creek corridor. Conveniently located near the beach and day-use site, just across the road, the 13-acre campground offers 22 first come - first served tent sites.
The 1-mile Rhododendron moderate hike around the north side of the campground is available.
* Trail Park Pass is required for this trail.
Yellowbottom | General Description
Open: Memorial Day weekend - Labor Day weekend
Location: Yellowbottom Recreation Site
Services: Vault toilets, garbage service, picnic sites, hand pump drinking water
Activities: Swimming, rock jumping, rope swinging, camping, hiking, fishing
Accommodations: Yellowbottom Campground - 22 tent sites
Distance from the parking: Short
Road access: Any passenger vehicle
Day-use fees: None
Popularity: Moderate to high
Restrictions: Recreational mining are not allowed; no glass or BBQ on the beach
Elevation: 1,410 ft (430 m)
Yellowbottom Recreation Site is located:
- 30 miles northeast of Sweet Home
- 74 miles northeast of Eugene
- 81 miles southeast of Salem
- 86 miles northwest of Bend
- 128 miles southeast of Portland.
Directions to Yellowbottom Recreation Site
- From I-5, take exit 228 for OR-34 East toward Lebanon
- Turn left onto OR-34 East and follow 5.4 miles to Airport Drive
- Merge onto Denny School Road on the right and continue onto Airport Drive for 2.2 miles to US-20
- Turn right onto US-20 East/Main Street and drive for about 19 miles to Quartzville Road
- Turn left onto Quartzville Road and follow 24 miles to the destination on the right.