• Cedar Grove Campground is nestled amid ancient western red cedar trees
• The site provides access to swimming, camping, picnicking, and hiking
Cedar Grove Campground and Recreation Site is a serene shaded area on the bank of the upper Molalla River, just 12 miles south of the city of Molalla. As the name suggests, this place sits in a picturesque grove of ancient western red cedar trees.
This river oasis is one of many places along the Molalla River Recreation Corridor that provide access to swimming, camping, picnicking, hiking, or simply enjoying beautiful Oregon's nature.
The river is easily accessible from the parking area via trail and stone stairs.
A long stretch of the beach consists mostly of cobbles. The opposite bank is carved by basalt rock formations with some ledges. There are depths and shallows. In summer when the water level is low, the river at this spot is very calm, so it can be a great place for the entire family to enjoy the refreshing water. The water temperature is typically cool even at the peak of summer heat (67°F in August).
The campground has 11 walk-in tent campsites each with a tent pad, picnic table, BBQ grill, and a metal fire ring as well as vault toilets. Make sure to reserve your spot via Recreation.gov.
The Molalla River Trail System combines 25 miles of trails with various difficulty levels designated for mountain bikers, equestrians, and hikers. You can pick one of the multiple trails for your personal needs and wants.
Please, keep in mind there is no cell service, and beware of log trucks frequent on the roads. Pack all of your trash to make sure we can keep Oregon nature clean for generations to come!
Cedar Grove Campground | General Description
Open: Campground is open from May 15th through October 1st
Managed by: BLM
Location: Molalla River Recreation Area
Amenities: Vault restroom, potable water, garbage service, and picnic sites
Activities: Swimming, fishing, hiking, and camping
Distance from the parking: Short
Road access: Any passenger vehicle
Day-use fees: None
Accommodations: Reservation is required
Elevation: 780 ft (237 m)
Cedar Grove Campground is located:
- 12 miles southeast of Molalla
- 38 miles east of Salem
- 46 miles southeast of Portland.
Directions to Cedar Grove Campground
- Take exit-271 and then turn left onto OR-214 toward Woodburn
- Head 16 miles east along OR-214 then OR-211 to Mathias Road in Molalla
- Bear right onto Mathias Road and follow 0.2 miles to S Feyrer Park Road
- Turn left onto S Feyrer Park Road and continue for 1.7 miles to S Dickey Prairie Road
- Turn right onto S Dickey Prairie Road and drive 5.3 miles to Glen Avon Bridge
- Cross the bridge and bear left, continue on S Molalla Forest Road for about 3.8 miles to the destination on the left.