• Beautiful lucid green waters of the Molalla River is carved through dramatic basaltic lava rocks
• A cobble beach and relatively warm water, family with small children friendly
Enjoy the beauty of the lucid green waters of the Molalla River in the Molalla Recreation Area. A scenic route along the river passes a few day-use sites that provide great opportunities for a natural dip into the cool and clear water. One of those sites Three Bears Recreation Site, located 3.5 miles south of Glen Avon Bridge, was open in 2013 by the BLM.
A cobble beach and river with relatively warm water on hot summer days are easily accessible from the parking lot. The water is deeper in a big pool near a rock wall that lines the opposite bank. The site has campsites with fire rings, barbecue grill, and picnic tables.
The Three Bears area provides an excellent opportunity for picnicking, camping, swimming, and hiking. Designated for mountain bikers, equestrians, and hikers, a 25-mile-long loop trail is nearby.
There are other excellent swimming spots along the Molalla River:
Three Bears Recreation Site | General Description
Open: May 15 - September 15; Campground is open for weekend use only, Friday 12 pm through Monday 11 am
Location: Molalla River Recreation Area
Services: Vault toilets, potable water, garbage service, picnic sites
Activities: Swimming, fishing, hiking, camping, rockhounding
Accommodations: 15 single and group campsites
Distance from the parking: Short
Road access: Any passenger vehicle
Day-use fees: None
Elevation: 680 ft (207 m)
Three Bears Area is located:
- 11 miles southeast of Molalla
- 38 miles east of Salem
- 46 miles southeast of Portland
- 107 miles northeast of Eugene.
Directions to Three Bears Recreation Site
- Take Exit 271 for Highway 214
- Turn right onto Highway 214 toward Woodburn
- Continue along Highway 211 and then E Main Street in Molalla to Mathias Road
- Turn right onto Mathias Road and follow to S Feyrer Park Road
- Turn left onto S Feyrer Park Road and continue to S Dickey Prairie Road
- Turn right and drive to Glen Avon Bridge
- Cross the bridge and continue for about 3 miles to the destination on the left.
Points of Interest Nearby